Custom Search

Friday, August 2, 2013

Fish for Friday

 

A bit of family history of mine and no this is no fish story while it does include a fish fry and a great new recipe for fish. Perhaps I should give you some background about myself. I grew up in a rural area where the little towns all came together for events. One such event was a fish fry that my grandparents pulled together because of the love of fish, good music and oh yes lots of company. Years before I was born my grandparents hosted this annual event and each family member was expected to play a role in the fish fry. It grew so much that the entire area came to the large Patterson fish fry to enjoy a get together with great music and amazing food. I can remember working at the picnic in a few different ways (1) waiting tables making sure that those that came to eat enjoyed their selves we filled their coffee cups and tea glasses. We replenished the garden fresh tomatoes and made sure that the crock bowels of pickles and onions were filled so that all could enjoy. The tables were served family style with heaping bowels of chicken and fried fish as well as garden fresh vegetables. It was the type of family environment that I still love to this day. While the fish fry as we knew it then no longer exist the memories in my mind as well as many others who came to eat, fried the fish or helped serve the tables will never forget. Our family still loves fish all though the fish fry that my grandparents started years ago is no longer in existence . Perhaps you will enjoy the amazing fish recipe that I share here today. If you like my story or you like my recipe please leave a comment so that I know there is someone out there reading my post. While I do enjoy sharing great finds I also love hearing from those of you who stop by my blog.



 
1 1/4 ounces lemon juice
1/2-ounce hot sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 (5-ounce) catfish fillets
3 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups corn tortilla flakes
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
9 ounces prepared chile con queso
3 ounces prepared pico de gallo
6 lime wedges


Whisk the lemon juice, hot sauce, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl. Dip each catfish fillet in the lemon juice mixture. Dredge catfish in seasoned flour, followed by buttermilk, and then corn tortilla flakes to coat completely.
Pour oil into a large, deep saute pan until it comes about halfway up the sides of the pan. Heat oil to 350 degrees F. When oil is hot, carefully add fish fillets to pan, in batches if necessary, and deep-fry until golden brown, about 10 minutes total. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
Place 1 1/2 ounces of queso on each of 6 plates and top with the fried catfish. Place 1/2-ounce of pico de gallon on top of the catfish. Garnish with a lime wedge and serve.

recipe source here

shared at
Inspire Me Monday

8 comments:

  1. I love that idea and believe it or not I've never been to a fish fry. Thanks for the recipe I love fish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Heidi above, I've never been to a fish fry! Sounds like great food and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have no idea how much I love fish fry. I will definitely try your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish Fry-day has always been a love of mine. :3 This looks like a great recipe, and I will definitely need to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good fish fry. I think that may be why Lent is my favorite time of year

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd give this a try. I don't really like seafood, but I do like when things are fried, so I imagine I'd enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely try your recipe! Thanks for sharing this to your readers. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea to have such a family get together. I've never been to a fish fry but hope to experience one someday. Thanks for the tasty recipe.

    Susan R

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post