Custom Search

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Over Surplus of Beans : Freezing Time



While we love our farmers market there are times that I buy a bit too much. In order for it not to go bad and get good use out of it all it is freezing or canning time. It has been a while since I have did this by myself so I had to do a search for how to freeze green beans and guess what I found a great resource one I am very familiar with. 


Step 1
Cut the ends of the Green Beans off with a sharp knife as seen in picture below. (I personally just snapoff the ends by hand)Cutting Fresh Green BeansSome people prefer to cut off both ends of the green beans. If you need them in smaller pieces you can also cut them into 1-2 inch pieces at this point.

Step 2
Boil Water and carefully place small batches of the Green beans in.
Cooking Times:
Small Beans: 2 Minutes
Medium Beans: 3 Minutes
Large Beans: 4 Minutes

Step 3
Carefully remove the beans from the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place them into a bowl of cold Water with Ice and let them sit for 3-5 Minutes (Pictured Below)
Blanching Green Beans

Step 4
Lay Green Beans out on a Towel to allow them to dry (or pat them dry with a towel to speed the process)  (Pictured Below)
Drying Green Beans

Step 5
Place them in a Freezer Storage Bag and you’re now ready to put them in the Freezer!  When it’s time to cook them, you will just need to boil/steam/bake them for 6-10 minutes or until tender.

1 comment:

  1. It's so lovely to be able to have fresh garden vegetables all year round! Thank you so much for sharing how to freeze green beans with us at Hearth and Soul. Your step by step instructions are great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post