Custom Search

Sunday, October 6, 2013

shoofly muffins



When I was a child Rockhome Gardens was a common place for our family to visit. The beauty that would be found here I have never forgot and one day plan to return with my own family. One of the things that my mother always wanted when she visited was to eat at the restraint and enjoy a piece of their shoofly pie. Oh the flavors in this pie was one that my mother enjoyed with intensity and I would be surprised to find out later in life when I spent the holidays with my husbands family that my mother in law always served a dessert that was very much like my mothers beloved shoofly pie.

Shoofly pie or what my mother in law would have called chess pie is a delicious piece of many customs. Both the Pennsylvania Dutch and Southern Cooking makes this delicious pie a tradition.
The pie may get its name because the sweet molasses odor attracts flies that must be "shooed" away.  The difference between the chess pie and the shoofly pie are the layers.

Shoofly Muffins are a sweet little dessert that have a wonderful topping like the shoofly pie and oh my the taste will bring back yummy memories


 
 
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract   

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 muffins cups with paper liners. In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add butter and mix with a fork or your hands until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of mixture for topping. Stir remaining ingredients into flour mixture.
Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Sprinkle reserved topping mixture over batter, distributing evenly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out dry. Cool 10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

recipe source here

shared at
scrumptious sunday party
Serenity Saturday
party

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post