Custom Search

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cabbage Rolls

When I think of cabbage rolls I will always think about a great friend of mine. I was at a place in my life where I knew no one my mom and dad had moved to a  new town so that my dad could take a better job. My first year in highschool I was in a much larger school, not sure of the new customs of the town, having no friends I found myself in a place that I never thought I would. I was a country girl from a little country town who had moved to an urban area and had to fit in fast. I latched onto a friend named April. There were many differences between us one of which was that she was from a different culture and her mom made lots and lots of soul food. Oh I loved it so yummy and I loved it One of my favorite recipes that she made was Cabbage Rolls. So I thought I would share one of these yummy recipes



Cabbage Rolls




1 head of cabbage
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 onion
2-3 T tomato paste
pinch of allspice
pinch of cinnamon
salt and pepper
your favorite tomato sauce

Steam cabbage in boiling water until leaves are soft.
Saute diced onion in large saucepan until translucent.
Mix beef, rice, onion, tomato paste and spices in bowl (you can dice and add some of the leftover cabbage to this mixture.)
Remove cabbage leaves and cut out center vein.
Place a dollop of beef mixture in the cabbage leaf and roll like a burrito. (You should get 2 rolls per leaf.)
Place rolls in saucepan that you cooked the onions in. Cover with tomato sauce.
Simmer gently for about 1 hour.

shared at
sweet haute

1 comment:

  1. Do you cook the meat before stuffing the cabbage leaves.?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post