Custom Search

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Do you like sweet and sour chicken? I must say that at first that seemed a bit odd to me it was not one of the country dishes that my mom or grandma would make. When I got older though I had an opportunity to try it and I simply love it. This recipe serves 4 but can easily be doubled



2 chicken breasts, sliced
1/2 onion, split into wedges
2 green onions
1 can pineapple, including juice
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch, blend with a tiny bit of water to avoid lumps
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

I used a skillet, but feel free to use a frying pan.  Cook the chicken that you have cut into strips, salt and pepper as desired.

On the stove, over medium high heat, mix together pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic, mustard and ginger.  Whisk as the mixture heats up.  Once it starts bubbling, gradually whisk in your cornstarch mixture.  Remove from heat.

Add sweet and sour sauce to your cooked chicken, then add in pineapple chunks, onion and green pepper.  Cover with lid and let the vegetable cook down until onions are almost completely transparent and green peppers are no longer crispy.  Serve over rice.


shared at
happiness is homemade
bewitchin party
nifty thrifty sunday
think pink sunday
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post