Custom Search

Monday, February 29, 2016

Reasoning Leap Year


Why do we have Leap Year:

I saw a cute piece on one of the early morning shows. I am not sure which one. I am sorry but I was at work. But the reason for leap year goes like this

For example just for a moment imagine that a cherry pie is equal to one year.


Now if you are not aware for the earth to complete orbit of the sun it takes 365.2422 days to complete. We use the Gregorian calendar which has 365 days a year but you can easily see that a full orbit consist of just a bit more than the 365 days. The extra time for the orbit to take place is excused via means of leap seconds. So each year we have what would average 1/4 of pie extra every year


Each year we are given an extra 1/4 of the pie of time and thus at the end of 4 years we have enough to equal an extra day. So every 4 years on February 29 we celebrate leap day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post