Custom Search

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Sunday's with Dad

Today, I recall the love for my dad and memories of him taking me to church. I was definetly what many would consider a daddy's girl. I went with him everywhere.I loved to spend time with him. He drove a big rig and I traveled with him in that back in the day. When I started school he took a job delivering mail and worked for the government. As often as I could I stayed with him and rode the mail route as well.The memories for my dad are many but some of the best is sitting with him in the church listening to him sing in his tenor voice. One of my favorite songs he sang to was




The old Brown Church

There’s a church in the valley by the wildwood,No lovelier spot in the dale;No place is so dear to my childhood,As the little brown church in the vale.
Refrain
Come to the church in the wildwood,Oh, come to the church in the dale,No spot is so dear to my childhood,As the little brown church in the vale.
How sweet on a clear, Sabbath morning,To list to the clear ringing bell;Its tones so sweetly are calling,Oh, come to the church in the vale.
Refrain
There, close by the church in the valley,Lies one that I loved so well;She sleeps, sweetly sleeps, ’neath the willow,Disturb not her rest in the vale.
Refrain
There, close by the side of that loved one,To trees where the wild flowers bloom,When the farewell hymn shall be chantedI shall rest by her side in the tomb.
Refrain
From the church in the valley by the wildwood,When day fades away into night,I would fain from this spot of my childhoodWing my way to the mansions of light.

loved this as a child and loved to sit with my daddy in that pew man some days those seemed like the greatest day we ever had

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like some great memories. I only met my dad last year in May. I look forward to building memories with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you luck, this will be the second fathers day to spend with your father, what an amazing time Building memories last a life time

      Delete
  2. Hold on to those precious memories! I have many fond memories of my step-father growing up and I every single time I cook pancakes it brings back memories of him making his famous homemade pancakes every Sunday morning before Church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned to cherish those memories, keep those memories but to also share those memories with you the readers as well as the rest of the family and well really anyone that will listen

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful memory to have of your dad. I do remember time spent around our church pews and how the kids loved to lie on them and more. Sending good cheer your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautiful! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post