Custom Search

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Lupus Awareness


Lupus has effected our family in many different ways. First of all my father lived with lupus for many years and now my son and cousin both in their 20s live their lives valiantly through it. Some of you may be asking what lupus is so let me explain.



Lupus is an inflammatory disease that attacks its own immune system. This can affect the joints, skin, brain, blood cells and kidneys. Unfortunately, there is currently not a cure for Lupus however certain treatments can help minimize these conditions.

Lupus is more common than cystic fibrosis, leukemia, muscular dystrophy and multiple schelrosis all combined. There is approximately 1.5 million Americans afflicted by lupus. Around the world there are more than 5 million people affected. 

Lupus symptoms include fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, rashes, hair loss, swollen glands, sensitivity to light, chest, muscle and joint pain, ulcers in th mouth or nose, and others. 

While 90 percent of those afflicted with lupus are women between the ages of 15 and 45 with two thirds of those being people of color. Both my son and niece do not fall in these statistics fairly. Yet they suffer from the same struggles. My son now facing fierce kidney issues. 

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Brooke Goldner had severe kidney issues at the age of 12. She is now Lupus free. This is her website. I wish your son well.
    https://goodbyelupus.com/welcome/?s2-ssl=yes

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post